My autism is currently self diagnosed and I am in the process of getting a real one im almost 18. What can help me when I go to my appointment?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
1) Make a list of your autistic traits
2) vet the person first so you know they’re not going to deny you a diagnosis based on race or gender, and
3) research other disorders so you can explain why you don’t have those and help prevent a misdiagnosis.
4) be prepared to have to go to multiple professionals to get the correct diagnosis
5) make sure the time, energy, and money of a real diagnosis is worth it for you. A self diagnosis is valid and often is enough since there is not very many resources for autistic adults.
Best of luck!
this helps so much thank you! I do have ADHD and I know they can fall hand in hand especially more so in women and can often be misdiagnosed! I feel guilty to say I’m autistic bc I always felt the need to see a doctor for such. My girlfriend is autistic and her mom sees many of the same traits in me as she does her. I’m this case I just don’t walk around saying I’m autistic out of fear of someone saying I’m not or trying to argue that I’m not valid, is this normal?
Mine is also self diagnosed
i took a few quizzes off of embrace-autism.com and printed my results. also i printed off this checklist;
and highlighted what applied to me. brought it to my psychologist and she was like “i had a sneaking suspicion” lmao
I've been diagnosed with ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Bipolar 1, BPD, CPTSD and I am currently self diagnosed with Autism. I plan to talk to my psych about it in our next visit, so I made a thorough list and if he isn't receptive I'll demand he refer me to another doctor. I'm 25 years old and have felt alien my whole life. I know I'm Autistic and it's important to me that I get a correct diagnosis.
☝ This content is generated by our users and it is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult with your physician before making any medical decision
Discover your Alikeness™ with people who are on the same journey, gain wisdom and get emotional relief in a secure & anonymous space.
Scan code or click below download the app