What are some tips to manage stress around worsening conditions?
Diabetes Type 2 (T2D)
Warm baths! Eat healthy. If you can a glass of wine: remember you are not alone!
Stay in touch with your doctor and follow advise to the T!
Taking it day by day and making small attainable goals for each day even if it’s just walking one block. I make the goals first thing in the morning based on how I’m feeling/my energy level that day. I personally get overwhelmed when I start thinking too far ahead…”will I be able to do that, how do I know I won’t be flaring, will that make me flare?” Taking it one day at a time makes it seem more manageable. I still make plans for the future but don’t give myself a hard time if I cannot do that activity that day and make sure the people I’m with/surrounded by understand that things can change at any moment.
I realize this isn’t an option for everyone but therapy has also been very helpful in dealing with the stress of the unknown.
I found this list from a T1D on Instagram. It’s lengthy, but definitely worth it looking at
* Talk to a therapist and/or your doctor. They are there to help!
* Do more of the things you love and try not to focus on your blood sugars.
* Find your support group. Whether it is friends, family, on social media, or through an organization - find people who
you can talk to that will support you.
* Set boundaries with yourself! Don't obsessively watch your BG. Check it once, and give yourself a couple hours before you check again.
* try to "Zoom out" … will you remember this moment a year from now?
* Move your body! Getting up and doing some movement can help you feel good.
* REST!!! Take time to rest and forget about diabetes for a bit.
* Remind yourself that you are doing the job of a human pancreas while also trying to live your life. Give yourself some grace!
- find things to look forward to. I have 5 countdown widgets on my phone for things I'm looking forward to. They can be simple, one of mine is for Halloween since I love Halloween even though I have no plans!!
- celebrate anything you do. Take a moment after any task, no matter how small, to take a deep breath and appreciate how your efforts helped. For example, I'll stand in the kitchen a moment, breathe, and go "wow that looks a lot better, look how shiny my sink is!" after I do dishes.
☝ This content is generated by our users and it is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult with your physician before making any medical decision
Discover your Alikeness™ with people who are on the same journey, gain wisdom and get emotional relief in a secure & anonymous space.
Scan code or click below download the app